|The perfect American taco|
1 pork shoulder or butt roast
2tbs brown sugar
1 1/2c bbq sauce (I used Trader Joe's All Natural BBQ Sauce but you can or try your favorite or use a paleo bbq sauce like this one)
1 small can (6oz) pineapple juice
For Grainless Coconut Tortillas (makes about 4):
2 large eggs, beaten
1squeezed wedge lemon juice (about a tsp or two)
1/4tsp baking powder
2tbs coconut flour
1/4c coconut oil for frying
1. Rub pork roast with salt, pepper and brown sugar mixture all over. Place in a slow cooker.
2. In a bowl, mix bbq sauce and pineapple juice. Pour over entire roast. Cover and cook on low about 10 hours or high about 6 hours (when the pork pulls away easily with a fork it's done... undercook it and it will feel tough. Overcook it and it will feel like mush.)
3. When the pork is done, remove it and shred it into chunky pieces using 2 forks. Drain all of the liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a boil over the stove. When the liquid has reduced by half, pour it over the shredded pork and give it a good toss.
4. When you are ready to eat, make your tortillas: In a large bowl, mix water, egg, juice, cumin, and salt. Slowly (VERY SLOWLY) add coconut flour and baking powder while you whisk. If you add it too fast it will clump. Let it set for a minute or two to thicken (you want it thinner than pancake batter but thicker than water). If it seems too thin give it a little more coconut flour.
5. Heat a tbs or 2 of coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet or a large breakfast electric skillet. When hot, pour in 1/4c of batter. Let it cook for a minute or two. When the bottom side has browned and the top has air bubbles, flip it over like a pancake and cook it on the other side. Use this tortilla to judge how thick/thin you want it to be (add flour or water depending). Keep adding oil as the skillet gets dry. Continue making tortillas until you are tired or full.
6. Serve your tortillas with some glazed bbq pork, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and arugula. Enjoy!