Monday, August 13, 2012

Simple Grilled Whole Chicken

I found some small antibiotic and hormone free chickens on sale at the store so I picked up 2.  Of course, I have serious reservations about roasting whole birds when it's 90+ degrees outside.  So, in an effort to save my energy bill, I decided to split the chickens in half and grill them.  What a delicious, simple, inexpensive idea!  The best part is both birds fit on the grill and I had tons of leftovers.  I served mine with a sweet potato and a large salad and used the leftovers to make a rockin' homemade chicken soup (stay tuned for the next blog post).  I hope you find this recipe as easy and versatile as I did.  Enjoy!

A beautifully grilled bird!
Ingredients:
2 whole chickens (3-5lbs)
2tbs minced garlic
1/4c fresh rosemary, chopped
1tsp poultry seasoning
3tbs butter, melted
3tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon
salt & pepper

Directions:
1. First spatchcock your chicken:  Cut along the backbone with kitchen shears.  Remove the backbone and reserve it for stock (look for my delicious stock recipe in my next blog post).  Turn the bird breast side up and flatten it the best you can so that it cooks evenly on the grill.  Do this with both birds if you are using 2.
2. In a small bowl, mix butter, oil, garlic, rosemary, poultry seasoning, and the juice from 1 lemon.  Add some salt and pepper.
3. Using your freshly washed hands, spread some oiled-herb-spread underneath the skin of each chicken (go under the breast, thigh, and leg if you can).  Use the remainder to coat the outside of the birds.  Generously salt and pepper the entire bird.  Let it set out for 30 minutes before you grill (this will allow it to cook more evenly).
4. Heat your grill to medium-high.  Grill chickens, breast side down until nicely charred (10-15min).  Flip chickens and cook 30 minutes more or until temp reaches 165F in the thickest part of the breast (obviously the timing will be different depending on the size of your bird:  mine was a little under 5lbs).  Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment