Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rustic Bacon Mashed Potatoes

Ever since Anthony came home from Japan, he has been complaining of hunger.  Annoyed, I ran to the store and bought a 5lb bag of potatoes.  I made 2 side dishes with them.  First I made these bacon mashed potatoes.  Since we are not eating milk, I added a splash of coconut milk for creaminess but not enough so that the whole thing tastes like coconut.  Of course bacon makes everything taste better so that went in there too.  I call them "rustic" because I like to leave the skins on before mashing.  A bit of butter and a bit more bacon grease and I had myself a man-side.  DO NOT tell me you are hungry after you eat these!

The cure for hunger
Ingredients:
2lb red potatoes, scrubbed clean
5-6 slices uncured bacon (nitrate free)
4tbs organic butter
splash coconut milk (I used "light" coconut milk for its mild flavor)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a large stock pot, place enough water to cover your potatoes.  Bring to a boil and then boil them until fork tender (about 25-30 minutes).  Drain.
2. Meanwhile, fry yourself a pan of bacon.  Then crumble the bacon and reserve 1-2tbs bacon grease.
3. Place drained potatoes back in the pot.  Add butter, a splash of coconut milk and a splash of bacon grease and cover with a lid.  Let set a couple minutes or until butter is melted.
4. Using a hand masher, mash your potatoes.  If you want them a bit thinner, add more liquid.  At the end, mash in your bacon crumbles.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment