|Original recipe found in "Paleo Comfort Foods" by Julie & Charles Mayfield|
Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy Ingredients (Serves 6-8):
2lb sliced beef round (1/2" thick), room temperature
1c almond flour
1/2c coconut flour
1tsp garlic powder
3 large eggs
1/4c coconut oil
2c chicken broth
1/2c coconut milk
1/4-1/2tsp poultry seasoning
course ground pepper for gravy
diced tomatoes, for serving (optional)
Creamed Spinach Ingredients:
1lb fresh spinach
1/2c coconut milk
3 cloves minced garlic
1tbs coconut flour
1/2 onion, diced
1tbs coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Fried Steak Directions:
1. Tenderize meat by pounding it with a meat pounder until 1/4" thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cut into steak size pieces.
2. Mix both flours, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a pie tin. In another pie tin, beat your eggs. Take each steak piece and dip it into the egg mixture and then dredge it through the flour mixture to coat it.
3. Preheat your oven to 250F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2tbs coconut oil over medium high heat. When oil it hot, add as many coated meat pieces that will fit comfortably in the pan. Cook until browned on one side (if your coating is burning or falling off your pan temp is too high... I had to turn mine down to medium). Flip and cook on the other side. When browned on both sides, move to your baking sheet. Repeat in batches, adding oil if the pan needs it, until all the meat is browned.
5. Transfer your meat to the oven and bake while you make your gravy.
6. Add the remaining flour to the saute pan with a bit more coconut oil. (If you don't have any left add 2tbs almond flour and 1tbs coconut flour to the pan). Pour in chicken broth and deglaze the pan, breaking up all the browned bits. Bring to a boil while you constantly whisk the pan. Add thyme, poultry seasoning and pepper. After a few minutes of boiling, add coconut milk and whisk well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
7. Take your steaks out of the oven and ladle some gravy over the top. Serve with diced tomatoes if desired.
Creamed Spinach Directions:
1. Heat coconut oil in the largest saute pan you have (or a stockpot). Add onion, paprika and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
2. Add coconut milk and coconut flour and whisk well.
3. Add spinach and simmer until all the spinach has wilted and the sauce is thick (you will need to stir often). Serve warm.