|Comfort food at its finest!|
Ingredients for Chicken Cacciatore:
1 package whole chicken legs (drums and thighs), bone in but remove skin (about 5 of them)
1 large can whole plum tomatoes with their juice (check labels; you want no added sugar)
8oz sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas but buttons will work nicely too)
1 yellow or sweet onion, sliced
2tsp Italian seasoning
2tsp minced garlic
1tsp garlic powder
2tbs balsamic vinegar
1/3c white wine (choose one you like to drink!)
3tbs tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Cauliflower Rice:
1 head cauliflower
salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, pour out canned tomatoes. Break them up with a spoon. Then mix in mushrooms, onion slices, seasonings, vinegar, and wine. Stir well.
2. Place chicken in the bottom of a large slow cooker in a single layer (do the best you can mine overlapped a bit). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Pour your veggie sauce mixture over the chicken.
4. Cover the slow cooker and turn on low for 6-8 hours (chicken will be falling off the bone tender when done).
5. When chicken is done, pour all of the liquid into a large saute pan, whisk in tomato paste, and boil over the stove for about 10 minutes or until reduced and nicely flavored. Salt until desired flavor is reached (I adjust the spices here too). Keep your chicken in the crock pot with the lid on, turned off, for now to keep warm.
6. While the sauce is boiling, make your "rice": Cut the cauliflower into large chunks. Place them in a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice. Place the "rice" in a large glass bowl with a lid and microwave for 5 minutes (do not add water). When done, add a pat of butter and a bit of salt and stir. Viola! Rice is made.
7. To serve, add a cup of "rice" to the bottom of a pasta dish. Add a whole chicken leg and some veggies on top. Ladle some sauce over the whole dish and enjoy!