|Crispy juicy chicken thighs with a fresh tomato garlic sauce: delish!|
6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (preferably no antibiotics used & no water added)
1tbs ghee or butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1tbs minced garlic
4 large fresh or frozen (thawed) tomatoes
1 regular sized can tomato puree (no sugar added in the ingredient list)
fine sea salt and ground pepper
2tsp dried oregano or 2 sprigs fresh
1/4tsp garlic powder
1/4tsp poultry seasoning
1/4tsp red pepper flakes
2tbs balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat your oven to 400F. While your oven is preheating, heat ghee in a large skillet over medium high heat. Salt and pepper chicken and then add it to the pan skin side down. Cook until skin is crispy and brown, about 5-8 minutes. Turn over and cook a minute more. Remove to a separate plate. Pour out all but 1tbs oil from the pan.
2. While the chicken is cooking, quarter tomatoes and put them in a food processor. Pulse until slightly chunky but almost smooth.
3. Add garlic and onion to the oil and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add fresh pureed tomatoes, a can of tomato puree, oregano, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, red pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil and stir, scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Let simmer a minute or two and then taste and season with as much salt as you like.
4. Pour tomato sauce into an oven safe casserole dish (if your skillet is oven proof, no need to do this). Place your thighs, skin side up, on top of the tomato sauce.
5. Place in the oven until the thighs read 170F (mine took 20 minutes).
6. Serve chicken with a large helping of sauce and enjoy!