|Tastes so rich but is chock full of veggies!|
1tbs ghee or pasture raised butter
1 sweet yellow onion, diced
1c baby carrots, sliced
8oz baby portabello mushrooms, chopped
1tbs minced garlic
1lb pasture raised ground beef
1/2tsp salt (more to taste)
1/4tsp black pepper
1tsp red pepper flakes (none if you don't like heat, more if you do)
1/2tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (Muir Glen is best)
1c marinara sauce (optional)
1c tomato sauce
1/2c red wine (optional, but a wonderful addition!)
1tbs fresh basil (optional, dried works fine too... just use 1tsp)
2tbs balsamic vinegar
2 large straight zucchini (they do best in the spiral slicer)
1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat butter over medium high. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
2. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain extra fat if desired (if using grass fed beef, the fat is WONDERFUL for you so don't drain it!) Add the veggies back to the skillet and add seasonings (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, garlic powder, oregano). Stir well until combined and let cook a minute or two.
3. Add your diced tomatoes, marinara, tomato sauce, red wine, and fresh basil. Stir well, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes (long enough to blend the flavors, cook the alcohol out of the wine, and thicken the sauce).
4. Meanwhile, use your slicer or a pairing knife to make long thin strands of raw zucchini. That's your pasta.
5. Add balsamic vinegar at the end and then taste your sauce and adjust salt and seasonings as needed.
6. If desired, you can warm your raw zu-ghetti pasta in the microwave for 30 seconds but not too long otherwise it gets mushy! Serve a large scoop of bolognese sauce over your zu-ghetti and enjoy!