|A bit of chocolate almond glaze & toasted coconut finish off this perfect little treat|
1/3c coconut flour
3tbs cocoa powder
1/2c chocolate chips (at least 60% cocoa)
1/2c coconut oil
3 large eggs
1/2c unsweetened applesauce
1tbs vanilla extract
1/4 rounded tsp baking soda
1/3c pure maple syrup
Chocolate Almond Glaze Ingredients:
2tbs melted chocolate chips
1/4c creamy almond butter
1tbs cocoa powder
1tbs pure maple syrup or honey
2tbs hot water (heavy cream works too)
1/2c toasted coconut flakes
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat eggs, applesauce, vanilla, baking soda and maple syrup until smooth. In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave for 1 minute and stir until completely smooth. While beating the wet ingredients, slowly add the melted chocolate coconut mixture. Once combined, add the coconut flour slowly. Beat for an additional minute.
2. Using an ice cream scooper, place batter into lined cupcake tins (will make about 8 cupcakes). Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
3. To make your frosting, beat melted chocolate and almond butter until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and maple syrup and beat again until smooth. Add a bit of hot water or heavy cream until your frosting reaches your desired consistency (will firm up a bit as it cools so you want it a bit soft).
4. To toast your coconut flakes, place them on a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 10 minutes, stirring and rotating half way through (and checking closely because they burn easily).
5. When your cupcakes and frosting are both cool, place a bit of glaze on top of each cupcake and spread evenly. Sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!
1 serving = 1 cupcake with 1tbs glaze and a rounded tbs coconut flakes