Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

One of my top 5 favorite recipes of all time is my Blueberry Lemon Money Bread, but sadly it is filled with gluten and I can never eat it (well... never say never this dessert is worth the pain and guilt I endure when I do make it but I try not to do it too often).  Still, I was determined to create a paleo friendly and gluten free version of this delicious bread, so I came up with these blueberry lemon muffins.  No, they are not as good as my original recipe, but they did satisfy the craving I was having and they do taste fresh and delicious.  Please enjoy.

The fresh lemon flavor is wonderful with the sweetness of the blueberries

Ingredients (makes 6 muffins):
2 eggs, yolk and whites separated
1/4c almond butter
1/4c coconut flour
1/3c honey
1c almond meal/flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
1tsp vanilla extract
3tbs butter, softened (preferably from grass fed beef)
1/3-1/2c blueberries (frozen or fresh - frozen take longer to cook)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.  Beat egg yolks in a large bowl.  Add almond butter, coconut flour, honey, baking soda, salt, lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract and butter.  When combined, stir in almond flour.
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.  Fold them into the batter.  Then fold in blueberries.
3. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop batter into the muffin tin (about 3/4 full) and bake for 18-20 minutes (the center of the muffins will come out clean when pierced with a toothpick).  Remove from pan and cool.  Keep leftovers in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment