I paired this dish with some rustic mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce and a Simple Cranberry Walnut Salad to bring out the sweetness of the cranberries in the beef.
|Rich and hearty with a light, slightly sweet sauce. I can't wait to eat the leftovers!|
1 3lb beef chuck roast
a splash of extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1c 100% pomegranate juice (I used POM wonderful)
1 14oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
1/4c balsamic vinegar
1/8c organic agave nectar or honey
a pinch of rosemary, a pinch of thyme, a pinch of cinnamon and a bay leaf
Rustic Potato Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed and cut into cubes
1/2c sour cream
1/2 stick butter (more to taste)
1/2c milk (approximate: pour a little milk in at a time until you reach your desired consistancy)
fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the beef with salt.
2. Place a splash of olive oil at the bottom of a crock pot. Add onions and garlic and stir until coated. Place beef on top (If you have time and want a richer flavor, brown your beef in a skillet first in hot oil. But if you are lazy like me, just plopping it on top is just fine).
3. In a bowl, mix together juice, tomatoes, vinegar, sweetener, craisins, and seasonings. Pour over beef.
4. Cook on high about 6 hours or until beef is tender and can be pulled with a fork (the more you cook it, the more tender it gets so keep checking it after about 5 hours for your desired tenderness).
5. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and add sour cream, butter and a bit of milk. With a handheld mixer, blend the potatoes, adding milk a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve beef, onions and cranberries with some sauce and mashed potatoes. Enjoy!