Friday, September 9, 2011

Simple Cranberry Walnut Salad

This is a staple salad in my house and I'm really surprised I haven't added it to my blog until now.  In fact, I'm known for this salad.  It's perfect year round and it has just the right amount of tang and sweetness.  I modified this recipe from my mothers traditional salad that has raisins and pine nuts.  I personally prefer craisins and walnuts so I that is what I use, but feel free to experiment.  I always use homemade vinaigrette dressings for my salads.  I haven't used bottled dressing in years!  But, those of you who think making your own salad dressing is too much work, please listen up:  it's just as easy as pouring it out of a bottle!  I promise this dressing is so simple you don't even have to mix it beforehand if you don't feel like it.  I serve it in the summer with fish or chicken.  I serve it in the fall and winter with roast.  I have even served it on Thanksgiving Day with turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes.  Please enjoy.

Light, fresh, natural flavors work year round

 Ingredients:
1 package organic spinach or baby spinach
one or two handfuls craisins (no need to be precise here)
one or two handfuls walnuts
1/4c roasted walnut oil (I cannot live without this stuff.  Can't find it?  Buy it here)
1/4c good balsamic vinegar
sea salt
honey, to drizzle

Directions:
1. Toss spinach, craisins and walnuts.
2. Usually, I serve the salad in bowls and then set the oil, honey and balsamic vinegar on the table.  Everyone adds their own spoonful of walnut oil and balsamic vinegar and then drizzles the top with honey.  However, if you prefer  yours tossed, whisk together vinegar and some honey and then add a steady stream of oil until combined.  Add a bit to the salad and toss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment