|Hearty breakfast on the go in a piece of cake with these bars!|
Ingredients (makes 16 large bars):
2/3c gluten free oats, processed in a food processor until finely ground
3c gluten free oats
1/2c almond flour
3c nuts, chopped or whole as preferred (I used 1c pecans, 1c macadamia nuts and 1c slivered almonds)
3c dried fruit (I used 1c chopped apricots, 1c dried cranberries, and 1c dried mixed berries)
12tbs melted butter or extra virgin coconut oil (use butter for a richer flavor, use coconut oil for it's health benefits and add some shredded coconut to the bar for a coconut flavor)
2tbs light corn syrup
1tbs vanilla extract
2/3c creamy almond butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 13x9" cake pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oat flour, oats, almond flour, salt cinnamon, nuts and dried fruit.
3. In a microwavable bowl, add butter or oil. Microwave until melted. Stir in honey, corn syrup, vanilla and almond butter until smooth.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with your hands until well coated and moist.
5. Press mixture into the prepared pan firmly until evenly pressed into the pan. Bake for about 30 or 35 minutes until the outsides are deep brown and the top is starting to brown but still soft in the center.
6. Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes. Use the paper to help remove the entire pan of bars, cover with foil, and place in the refrigerator for a few hours before cutting (otherwise they tend to fall apart). Once cut, store them on lined parchment paper in layers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve (they will be set the next day).