Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mexican Fish Salad w Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette

I love Chipotle.  No, I'm not talking about the chile (although I love that too).  I'm talking about the take-out restaurant.  We eat there at least a few times a month.  I always order the same thing: Carnitas salad, with peppers, mild salsa, guacamole & their deliciously smokey vinaigrette.  I also make my own version of these salads at home.  This time I used wild-caught-cod and it was just delightful.  Usually I do chicken or steak in these Mexican dishes but I think I just found my new favorite spring meal.  Enjoy!


Ingredients (serves 2):

Veggies:
2 bowls of chopped greens (I used a mixture of Organic Red Lettuce & Romaine)
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 orange bell pepper, cut into strips
1tbs extra virgin olive oil

Fish:
2 filets mild and flaky wild-caught-fish (I used Alaskan Cod)
1tbs extra virgin olive oil
1tbs butter
8 drops DoTERRA Lemon Essential Oil ( buy here)
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
a pinch of garlic powder

Guacamole Salsa:
2 avocados, diced
1 tomato, diced
organic cilantro, chopped (to taste - I used about 1/4c)
1 drop DoTERRA Lime Essential Oil (buy here)
garlic powder and salt to taste

Chipotle Vinaigrette: 
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2tbs honey
1tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
1 tsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotle's in adobo (if you have it)
1 drop DoTERRA Lime Essential Oil (buy here)
1/4tsp paprika
pinch garlic powder, onion powder and oregano
1/4c extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 450F.  Then prepare your viniagrette by whisking all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (or put them in a glass jar with a lit and shake well).  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Note:  If you aren't used to cooking with essential oils, a little goes a long way.  Lemon and Lime are my absolute FAVORTE to cook with because you only need a drop and it gives the dish SO MUCH fresh flavor!  They are must-haves for your kitchen spice cupboard in my opinion.
2. Prepare your guac-salsa.  In a medium size bowl, mix your avocao, tomao, cilantro and lime essential oil.  Add a sprinkle of salt and garlic powder then mix some more and taste.  Keep adding garlic and salt until it's to your liking and keep mixing until the guacamole has some mushed pieces but some still cubed.
3. Now cook up your peppers.  Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet (I use one lined with non-stick foil for super easy clean-up).  Drizzle with 1tbs olive oil and toss well.  Add a bit of salt.  Throw them in the oven and cook about15 minutes or until they are softening and have some brown or black areas.  Toss them after 10 minutes.
4. While your peppers are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1tbs olive oil and 1tbs butter (this mixture tastes absolutely divine).  Add a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your fillets and place them into the hot skillet.  Cook on one side until seared a deep golden brown, then flip, add 4 drops lemon essential oil on the top of each fish, cover with a lid, turn to medium-low and cook until fully cooked through (mine took an additional 4 minutes).  They are done when the fillet flakes easily with a fork.
5. To serve:  In a bowl, place some greens.  Top with peppers, then a filet of fish, and a huge scoop of salsa guac.  Drizzle the salad dressing over the whole thing and dig in.  OMG so good!

About DoTERRA Essential Oils:
See my Primal Bites Page Cooking w Essential Oils
See my sister blog Aroma Nurse
Purchase any oil at My DoTERRA Wellness Store or contact me directly at lizgracerendon@gmail.com for information on wholesale prices


No comments:

Post a Comment