Monday, April 14, 2014

Easy Coconut Milk Custard

I have to admit, this recipe was originally intended for Baby P.  I always make homemade baby food for her and I have been trying to add lots of healthy fat in her diet.  I thought homemade coconut milk custard would be the perfect baby food dessert.  I didn't want to mess with the hot water bath, baking it in the oven for an hour, blah blah blah so I created this recipe as a quick alternative to make on the stove.  Although intended for Penelope, it was so delicious, my husband Anthony and I ate almost the whole thing.  In one sitting.  Don't worry, there's a (small) bowl left for the baby.  Ha!  This one really is good for the whole family!  Enjoy!

Not the best picture because I had to snap it from my phone really quick before it was gone!

Ingredients (should serve 4... but in our case it served 2 and 1/2)
1 can full fat coconut milk (first cold pressed is best)
1/2tsp cinnamon plus more for dusting
4 egg yolks
1/3c sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
3tbs cornstarch

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, blend egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and corn starch until combined and thick.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk and cinnamon (stirring constantly) until just boiling (I had my heat on medium high but you can do it on medium or low if you are worried about not stirring it enough).
3. While beating the eggs continuously (so they don't' curdle), slowly add the hot coconut milk to the bowl in one slow steady stream.
4. Add the mixture back into the saucepan, turn to medium and cook whisking constantly until nice and thick.
5. Pour into one large 8 inch container or individual ramekins to set.  Sprinkle more cinnamon on top.  Nutmeg would be good on top too but unfortunately my husband hates it so I hardly ever use it.
6. Let set to room temp and serve.  Alternatively, serve warm or cold.  Yum!

NOTE:  I am not as strict paleo as I used to be so this has some refined sugar and cornstarch.  You could substitute some honey instead (I didn't because the baby can't have it yet).  You could also try thickening it with a more paleo-friendly thickener like arrowroot, potato starch, or something of that sort.  I haven't made it that way... but just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment