|Not the best picture because I had to snap it from my phone really quick before it was gone!|
Ingredients (should serve 4... but in our case it served 2 and 1/2)
1 can full fat coconut milk (first cold pressed is best)
1/2tsp cinnamon plus more for dusting
4 egg yolks
2tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, blend egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and corn starch until combined and thick.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk and cinnamon (stirring constantly) until just boiling (I had my heat on medium high but you can do it on medium or low if you are worried about not stirring it enough).
3. While beating the eggs continuously (so they don't' curdle), slowly add the hot coconut milk to the bowl in one slow steady stream.
4. Add the mixture back into the saucepan, turn to medium and cook whisking constantly until nice and thick.
5. Pour into one large 8 inch container or individual ramekins to set. Sprinkle more cinnamon on top. Nutmeg would be good on top too but unfortunately my husband hates it so I hardly ever use it.
6. Let set to room temp and serve. Alternatively, serve warm or cold. Yum!
NOTE: I am not as strict paleo as I used to be so this has some refined sugar and cornstarch. You could substitute some honey instead (I didn't because the baby can't have it yet). You could also try thickening it with a more paleo-friendly thickener like arrowroot, potato starch, or something of that sort. I haven't made it that way... but just a thought.