|A healthy version of your Italian favorite & just as satisfying!|
2lb ground beef
2tbs minced garlic
2tsp italian seasoning
1/2tsp garlic powder
1tbs extra virgin olive oil (plus more to coat the veggies)
2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut in half
6 large tomatoes, cut in half
2 zucchini, cut into 1/4" slices lenghwise
1 jar marinara (I used Ragu's "no sugar added" brand: Cheap, healthy, & delicious!)
1/4c fresh basil, sliced thin
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and salt. Using a very small ice cream scooper or melon ball scooper, make evenly formed meatballs and set them on a plate.
2. In the largest nonstick skillet you have, heat butter and oil over high heat. Add meatballs in a single layer and cook until deep brown on each side (turning them and rotating them with tongs helps). I sprinkled the tops of mine with garlic powder, oregano, and a pinch more salt. Drain the excess fat.
3. Pour in your jar of marinara and toss making sure all of your meatballs are coated. Stir in about 1/2 of your fresh basil (the rest is for garnish). Bring to a boil, turn down heat, cover with a lid, and simmer about 15 minutes or until meatballs are tender and done.
4. Meanwhile, cook your veggies. Heat your grill to medium high. Using an olive oil sprayer (or your hands) coat each of the veggie pieces in olive oil. Sprinkle them generously with sea salt. Cook your veggies until charred on both sides and softened. Remove. Cut your tomatoes and bell peppers into quarters and your zucchini into little triangles.
5. In a pasta dish, place a heaping mound of veggies. Top with some meatballs and marinara. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!