|Healthy All-American Comfort Food|
2lb lean ground beef
8 slices bacon
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2c beef stock
1tbs tomato paste
1/2tsp poultry seasoning
1/8tsp black pepper
2 pints cherry tomatoes
1tbs extra virgin olive oil
Mashed Sweet Potato Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1/4-1/2c full fat coconut milk
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large pan, fry 6 bacon slices until crispy over medium heat (reserve 2 slices for the top). Remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease. Crumble bacon when cool. Pour out almost all of the bacon fat.
2. Then, add your celery, onion, zucchini, and garlic to the same pan. Saute over medium high heat until veggies are soft. Add beef stock, tomato paste, salt, poultry seasoning, and black pepper. Cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix beef, egg, veggie and seasoning mix, and crumbled bacon with your hands.
4. Place in a foil lined loaf pan. Cut the remaining 2 slices of raw bacon in half. Top the loaf with the bacon slices.
5. Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet.
6. Place both the meatloaf and cherry tomatoes in the oven and cook for 1hour (cherry tomatoes are done when they are burst and starting to brown/blacken). Meatloaf is done when a thermometer inserted into the center comes out 160F. If your meat has a lot of water added to it, you may need to periodically pour out the water to keep if from getting soggy.
7. Meanwhile, make your mashed potatoes: Boil your sweet potatoes for 10-20 minutes or until soft. Drain them then add desired amount of butter, cinnamon, coconut milk and salt. Use a hand mixer to beat them (add only a bit of coconut milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.)
8. At the end, take out the tomatoes and break with a spoon or spatula to make a compote. Turn your oven to broil. Place your meatloaf as close to the top of the oven as you can and cook for about 3 minutes or until the bacon on top has browned.
9. Slice meatloaf and serve over mashed sweet potatoes. Top with roasted tomato compote.