Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Paleo Coconut Truffles

I'm Baaaack!  Two weeks without blogging seems like  an eternity!  My first cooking concoction upon return from my Christmas vacation in California was candy (did you really expect anything less?!?)  My sister gave me some fun creative candy molds for Christmas so I was really excited to use them!  They were so much fun to make and turned out perfect!  Who says a healthy dose of dark chocolate can't be part of  your New Year's diet?!

A fun and healthy treat for 2012!
Ingredients:
1c Ghirardelli 60% cocoa (or darker) chocolate chips
1/4tsp coconut extract
1/4c coconut oil, melted
2tbs pure maple syrup

Directions:
1. In a large glass container (or special ceramic candy cups my sister gave me) melt chocolate in the microwave at 1 minute intervals until melted (stir between each minute). 
Chocolates filled with coconut and ready for their tops!
2. Using candy truffle molds, place a little pat of melted chocolate at the bottom of the mold and paint it around the edges (I didn't have a candy brush so I used a baby spoon and it worked fine, but produces thicker chocolate edges).  Place mold in the freezer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, stir together coconut oil, extract, and maple syrup in a separate bowl.  Let cool to warm (but don't let it harden).  When the candies have hardened take them out of the freezer and fill each with melted oil until almost full.  Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
4. When the filling has hardened, take the molds back out of the freezer and paint the remaining chocolate on top, closing off the candies.  Yup, once again stick them in the freezer for 10 minutes.  When completely hard, take out and pop out of the molds gently.  Let come to room temperature before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment