Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Smokey Egg Salad w/ Tomatoes

I absolutely love egg salad.  It is my go-to dish when I know I need to go to the grocery store because I am out of meat but I really don't feel like it.  Often times I hard boil a dozen eggs and store them in the fridge while I eat on them all week.  For boiling eggs I highly recommend this egg timer.  You just throw it in with your eggs and it tells you when they are done!  I served this delicious dish in lettuce cups, but open face on your favorite whole grain or gluten free bread would be equally wonderful.

A perfect afternoon lunch
Ingredients:
3 large eggs
4 pearl or cherry tomatoes, diced
1tbs mayonnaise
1tsp mustard
South African Smoke Seasoning from Trader Joe's (this stuff is amazing; a must buy!)
Himalayan pink salt (or substitute sea salt)
Fresh ground pepper
Iceburg lettuce for lettuce cups or your favorite gluten-free bread or cracker, for serving

Directions:
1. Hard boil your eggs.  If you have an Egg Rite Egg Timer use it.  Otherwise, place a dozen large eggs in a sauce pan (or as many that will fit).  Cover with water and add a pinch of salt.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 2 minutes.  Then cover, remove from heat, and let set 10-12 minutes.  Drain and cool in ice water or under cool running water.
2. Peel your eggs and grate them using a cheese grater.  Place them in a bowl with your mayo and mustard.  Give it a good stir.  Add your cherry tomatoes, a pinch of sea salt, and a couple grinds of your smokey seasoning and stir again.  Taste and adjust as needed.
3. To serve, place on lettuce cups or over some toasted gluten free bread and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment