Sunday, November 20, 2011

Paleo Pork Tostadas

The other night I made a delicious pork roast in a tangy tomatillo sauce and I was looking for a creative way to use the leftovers when I stumbled on a primal tortilla recipe from Mark Sesson's blog Mark's Daily Apple.  I was skeptical but knew I had to try this creative way to make a "tortilla" without any grains.  It turned out amazing.  So amazing, in fact, that I made a second batch that night and we ate them all.  Now I have to share this recipe with my Paleo enthusiasts because I know it will be a staple in my house as well as yours.  Amazing.

This cured my tortilla craving 100%

Ingredients:
Leftover shredded pork and tomatillo sauce, heated (Recipe found here)
Sour cream, optional for those that are eating some dairy
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Sliced black olives, for garnish

Tex-Mex Tortilla Ingredients: (Original recipe found here)

1/3c water
2 large eggs
1tsp lime juice
2tbs coconut flour
1/4tsp baking powder
1/2tsp cumin
1/4tsp chili powder
2tbs macadamia nut oil

Directions:
1. Beat water, eggs and lime until combined.  In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cumin and chili powder.  Add a pinch of salt if desired.
2. Pour the wet ingredients slowly into the dry, mixing every few tbs so that there are no lumps or clumps.
3. Heat 2tbs macadamia nut oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.  Pour 1/4c of the batter onto the pan and cook for 1 minute.  Cover and cook 1 minute more.  Flip and cook on the other side 2 more minutes.  Repeat with the remaining batter.
4. To serve, place some warmed shredded pork and tomatillo sauce on the tortilla.  Top with sour cream, cilantro and sliced olives.  (You have to eat this with a fork and knife but it's so amazing you won't care!)

No comments:

Post a Comment