Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lemon Dill Salmon Burgers

My favorite way to eat salmon is when I turn it into a burger.  There is something about mixing spices throughout the ground meat and frying it up in a pan that really highlights the flavors of salmon.  I absolutely love the Icelandic Salmon from Whole Foods and I'm at the point where I am disappointed if I buy anything else.  In this simple dish, I used lemon and dill to compliment the fish and I paired it with an Old Bay mayo.  This meal is Paleo friendly and gluten-free since I placed it on a bed of greens.  If you are not gluten free, no problem:  slide it between a warm delicious whole grain roll or bun and enjoy.  This meal won't disappoint.

A quick healthy lunch:  I could eat this every single day

Ingredients (makes 2 large burgers):
1lb good quality fresh salmon
1/2tsp dill
sea salt and ground pepper
1tsp lemon grass
zest of 1 lemon, 1/2 reserved
1/4c mayo
1/4tsp Old Bay Seasoning
juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1 large egg, preferably omega-3 enriched, beaten slightly
macadamia nut oil (or other healthy frying oil)
1/2 bag of baby greens

Directions:
1. If you salmon has skin, remove it carefully with a knife.  Cut it into pieces and place it in the food processor and pulse a few times (do not over pulse it or the meat will be tough).
2. With your hands, mix in the dill, a bit of salt and pepper, lemon grass, and 1/2 of your lemon zest.  Add in the egg and continue to mix (trying not to over mix - this will also make your meat tough).  Form 2 large burgers and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat up a large nonstick skillet with a tbs of macadamia nut oil or other oil with a high smoke point.  Over medium-high heat, pan fry your salmon about 3 minutes per side or until done in the middle.  Alternatively, you could throw these on a George Foreman grill (I tried this but my grill broke right in the middle of cooking them so I ended up having to pan fry them anyway).
4. While your salmon is cooking prepare your mayo:  Take your favorite mayo and mix in 1/2 of a squeezed lemon, half of the lemon zest and a few sprinkles of Old Bay Seasoning.  Taste and adjust.
5. To serve, place your salmon on a bed of greens (or in a bun) and then top with Old Bay mayo and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment