Tuesday, November 1, 2011

French Green Beans with Sauteed Onions and Almonds

It is officially fall and all I can think about is Thanksgiving food (as noted by my obsessive use of pumpkin, turkey and fall vegetables).  I absolutely love Thanksgiving green beans, but I honestly don't make them that often and I have no idea why not.  For these beans, I used a frozen package of French Green Beans from Trader Joe's and then tossed them with some butter, sauteed onions and toasted almonds.  What a wonderful side to any meal!  Not quite the traditional bacon roasted green beans my mother makes over the holidays (that recipe is yet to come!), but still delicious.  I hope you enjoy these as much I as do.

Brightly colored crisp-tender green beans are a simple elegant side to any dish

Ingredients:
1/2 package of Trader Joe's Frozen French Green Beans
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
1tbs butter, preferably organic or grass fed
1tsp minced garlic
3tbs sliced almonds, toasted in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes or until fragrant

Directions:
1. Heat a large pot of water to boiling.  Add green beans and boil 5 minutes (do not overcook!).
2. Drain the beans and then quickly pour them into a large bowl of ice water (this will make them stay a vibrant green color).
3. Meanwhile, heat butter in a saute pan over medium high heat.  Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent and browning.  Add the cooked green beans, stirring until fully incorporated with the onions.  Add the almonds and stir well until the entire dish is hot and ready to serve.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment