Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chicken Salad with Broccoli Slaw & Almond Ginger Dressing

This is pretty much my favorite salad of all time and I can't believe I haven't shared it on my blog yet.  Shame on me!  The secret is in the delicious almond dressing that makes the entire salad taste rich and decadent.  Today, I made this dish with broccoli slaw, snow peas and green onions but it is so versatile you could use whatever you want.  I have made it with carrots, mushrooms, sugar snap peas and chicken.  I have made it vegetarian with a mix of veggies, quinoa, and diced butternut squash.  Use whatever veggies you love; the combinations are endless.  I hope you absolutely love this dish as much as I do. Bon appetite!

My favorite lunch salad!

Salad Ingredients (this makes 3-4 meals):
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (See recipe: Basic Poached Chicken Breast)
1-12oz package broccoli slaw
1-8oz package snow peas, chopped
1tsp macadamia nut oil (or whatever you've got)
1/4c apple cider vinegar
Green onion, for garnish

Almond Ginger Dressing Ingredients:
1-2tbs minced fresh ginger (I use 2tbs but I love the taste of ginger, use less if you want it less strong)
1 lemon, juiced
1tsp minced garlic (or a pinch of garlic powder for a more mild flavor)
1/3c almond butter (roasted or raw; use your favorite)
1tsp soy sauce (gluten free)
pinch cayenne powder
1/3c water
salt to taste

Directions:
1. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat.  Add the broccoli slaw, snow peas, and apple cider vinegar.  Stir and cook a few minutes, then cover, turn to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until your veggies are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, make your dressing.  In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until smooth.  Taste and adjust salt and seasonings as needed.  You want your flavor very almond-like and strong because it dilutes when you mix it in the salad.
3. Throw your chicken in with the slaw mixture to heat it up.  Pour in the dressing and mix well.  Serve warm.  (This is also great the next day after the chicken and veggies soak up a lot of the dressing.  I usually make a big batch and eat it for lunch for 3 or 4 days).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment