Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Basic Poached Chicken

This is a simple recipe for your basic shredded chicken.  While I was in nursing school, I was way too busy to cook meals for myself every night like I do now, so on Sunday night I would make a big batch of poached chicken and then put it in various meals throughout the week.  I would throw it in with some greens and a vinaigrette; add mayo, grapes and walnuts for a Waldorf salad; mix it with bbq sauce for a tasty gluten free sandwich or add some salsa and cheese for a basic taco.  The possibilities are endless.  The best part is, you can use frozen chicken!  This will always remind me of my endless quest to manage my time in nursing school.  I hope it makes your life a little simpler too.

Simple, tender and tasty:  perfect for your busy life!

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or as many as will fit in your crock pot):  can be frozen!
1 can chicken broth, or enough to almost over the breasts

Directions:
1. Place your chicken in a slow cooker.  Add a can of chicken broth.
2. Turn on high and cook about 3-4 hours or until breasts are tender and shred easily with a fork.  If you are using frozen breasts, it may take a bit longer.  For thawed breasts, a bit less.  This isn't exact science here and it's so simple!  You could also cook them on low for 6-7 hours.  Now get creative and eat that chicken!

Ideas:
Chicken Salad with Broccoli Slaw & Almond Ginger Dressing

 

No comments:

Post a Comment