Monday, October 17, 2011

Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls

I will admit every once in a while I am just too lazy to go to the grocery store and I make what I call "kitchen cupboard meals", which is basically a meal I throw together with a few basic items I have in my kitchen.  This is one of them.  I had some ground beef and some cabbage.  I thought cabbage rolls sounded nice, but I was even too lazy to boil the cabbage and actually make the dish so I opted for some deliciously sweet roasted cabbage with a thick meaty Italian sauce on top: an inside-out cabbage roll, or what Anthony likes to call "Italian Chili."  So rich and savory.  So delicious.

All the flavors of a delicious cabbage roll in half the time
 Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
8oz of your favorite marinara (I used Ragu: No Sugar Added)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (Muir Glen)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2tsp minced garlic
1tbs balsamic vinegar
2tsp garlic powder
1 small head cabbage, cut into slices or wedges
1-2tbs extra virgin olive oil
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450F.  Using your fingers, or an olive oil sprayer, coat both sides of the cabbage with oil.  Sprinkle with sea salt (and a little garlic if you wish) and place in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Roast about 20 minutes on one side, or until browned and starting to char, and then flip and roast another 10 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, cook ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat.  Add garlic and onion and cook until soft.  Pour out any remaining oil.  Add the diced tomatoes, marinara, vinegar, garlic powder and oregano.  Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is done and the flavor have blended.
3. To serve, layer some cabbage on a plate.  Top with a generous helping of meat sauce.  Enjoy!
2tsp oregano


No comments:

Post a Comment