Monday, October 17, 2011

Fall off the Bone Baby Back Ribs with Chili Sauce

As a kid, my favorite meal of all time was baby back ribs.  I ate them every chance I got, including birthdays and any special celebration where I could convince my parents to "take me out for ribs."  I still love them, but have never actually made them myself.  Until today.  I must warn you that these are just about the best baby back ribs I have ever eaten.  They are fall off the bone tender but still packed with flavor.  Since I am trying to cut back on sugar ("trying" being the key word here), I decided to make a dry rub for the ribs and then glaze them with a warm chili sauce at the end instead of your traditional sugar laden barbeque sauce.  The result was unbelievable.  I'm not sure if it's because I just love ribs so much or if I just didn't expect them to turn out so amazing.  Either way, Anthony thinks I should enter them in a rib contest.  Maybe I will.

Throw these on top of a fresh green salad and you have yourself the perfect meal!
Ingredients:
1 full slab baby back ribs
2tbs Liz's Rib Rub (recipe to follow)
1/2c Spicy Chili Sauce (recipe to follow)


Rib Rub Ingredients:
1tbs cumin
1tbs paprika
1tbs garlic powder
1tbs onion powder
1tbs chili powder
2tbs salt
1tsp cayenne
1tsp black pepper
1tsp white pepper
1tsp Old Bay Seasoning


Spicy Chili Sauce Ingredients:
6oz tomato paste
1c beef stock (gluten free!)
2tsp minced garlic
2tbs stone ground mustard
2tbs balsamic vinegar
2tsp extra virgin olive oil
1tsp salt
2tbs chili powder
1/2tsp cayenne pepper


Directions:
I promise these are worth the effort!
1. Mix all the rib rub ingredients together in a container.  This will make more than you need, so label the container and save the leftovers for later. 
2. Preheat the oven to 260F.  Remove the rib membrane underneath the ribs, if not already done for you.  Rub some of the mixture all over the ribs.  Cut the slab in half and place in a roasting pan.  Cover tightly with 2 layers of foil.  Bake in the oven for 3 hours and 15 minutes.  Ribs should be fall off the bone tender.
3. Meanwhile, make your sauce:  heat all the chili sauce ingredients in a sauce pan over medium and whisk until smooth, hot and bubbling.  Turn heat to low.
4. Carefully move ribs to a baking sheet (single layer).  Turn the oven to broil.  Generously baste the chili sauce over the top of the ribs.  Then broil the ribs a few inches from heat for about 4 minutes.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment