Monday, October 24, 2011

The Best Paleo Pumpkin Pie

It definitely feels like fall and all I can think about is making some delicious pumpkin recipes.  This is my first attempt at a pumpkin pie recipe that is Paleo friendly (ie no grains, dairy or refined sugar).  I used honey in this recipe as my sweetener but agave nectar would work nicely also.  I also used butter for the crust but you could substitute coconut oil if you don't eat butter (many Paleo enthusiasts say butter and cream are acceptable).  Okay, okay I know cavemen didn't eat pumpkin pie but this is a hell of a lot healthier than eating the real thing.  This pie tastes better chilled so give it some time in the refrigerator before you dig in.  A healthy alternative for Thanksgiving dessert anyone?!?

A classic fall dessert, Paleo style!




Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2c almond flour
1/4c melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
2tbs honey

Pie Filling Ingredients:
1 1/2c pumpkin purée or one 15oz can unsweetened pumpkin
4 large omega-3 eggs
3/4c coconut milk
1/4c maple syrup
1/2c raw honey
2tsp bourbon vanilla extract
1/2tsp cinnamon
1tbs pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.  I lined a springform pan with nonstick foil.
2. To make the crust, with your clean fingers, mix the four, butter, salt and honey in a bowl.  Then press firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake 10min until golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. In another bowl, mix all the pie filling ingredients until well combined.  Pour into the pan.
4. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the middle of the pie is set (a knife inserted into the center makes a clean cut).  Cool on a wire rack and refrigerate before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Way to much salt I had to throw it in the garbage next time I will do. 1/4 tsp for each and see how it tastes. If it weren't for the salt it would have been amazing. I should have known better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. This could have been a misprint. I will edit the recipe :) Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I used unsalted butter which could have made a big difference. I made a comment in the recipe. Thanks for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for Canadian Thanksgiving since there are paleo people in my family and it is super awesome! Everyone loved it! I had to make a coconut flour crust as I was out of almond flour but it still worked out good. It wasn't salty at all so I dont know what that other commenter is talking about.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete