Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Coconut Chicken Curry with Peaches

I love curry.  Let me say it again:  I LOVE curry.  The blend of Indian spices with the richness of coconut milk and large chunks of chicken warms my heart.  I first ate curry while my husband was deployed in Curacao, an island in the Caribbean.  The curry I had there many times during my stay on that island was always my favorite meal and the highlight of my day.  Today, when I eat curry, I still think of that Caribbean island with it's brightly painted buildings, sandy shores and clear waters.  Perhaps that is why I love curry so much.  But it doesn't really matter.  The fact remains that curry is delicious when it's done right no matter where you eat it.  Here I have made a summer curry to highlight the use of fresh peaches.    Serve this with hot steamed rice to soak up the gravy. 

A warm bowl of this brings back wonderful memories and warms my heart

 Ingredients:
4tbs olive oil
2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 2inch piece of ginger, minced
1/4c fresh lemon juice
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2" chunks
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1/2tsp ground coriander
1/2tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp ground turmeric
1tsp curry powder
3 ripe peaches, coursely chopped
1c chicken stock (gluten free:  I use Rachael Ray)
1c coconut milk
1-2tbs white sugar, brown sugar, or agave nectar (optional, taste first and then add sweetness if needed)
White or brown rice, for serving

Directions:
1. Heat 2tbs olive oil in a large pan.  Add onions and cook 5 minutes.  Add jalapeno, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice and cook 5 minutes more.  The onions should be caramelized and limp.  Transfer to a plate.
2. Heat remaining 2tbs olive oil.  Add chicken.  Cook over medium-high until well-browned but not fully cooked.  Add cayenne, coriander, cumin, and 1tsp sea salt and stir fry for about 2 minutes. 
3. Add onions back into the pan with chicken broth and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is done and flavors have blended.  Add coconut milk and reduce heat.  Let cook 2 minutes to blend.  Add sweetener and salt to taste.  Serve over rice to sop up the gravy.
Leftover Note: [Made too much?  Freeze the leftovers!  Just leave out the rice and ladle it into freezer bags.  It's good for 3 months.  To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator and then heat over the stove onmedium-low for about 20 minutes or so]

No comments:

Post a Comment