Sunday, August 14, 2011

Woodchuck Slow Cooker Pork Roast

Yes, you heard me right:  Woodchuck is the secret ingredient here.  I didn't have apple juice on hand (my usual staple for pork roasts) so I used Woodchuck Cider instead.  The alcohol in the cider tenderizes the meat and infuses sweetness into the vegetables.  The result is an easy slow cooker meal that I will make again and again.  I love the slow cooker because I can throw everything in the pot in the morning and it's done by dinner.  Pork roast is my husbands favorite so I make one every few months.  I served this with baked hand-mashed potatoes, but it would also be nice with rice, on a sandwich with some coleslaw, or in a tortilla as a pork taco (You can do so many new things with the leftovers!).  You will not hear "Not leftovers again!" with this recipe:  I promise.


Chunks of pork and carrots on a bed of potatoes:  It doesn't get  any better than this!

Ingredients:
1-4lb pork shoulder roast (bone in or out)
2c baby carrots
2 yellow onions, cut in half and sliced thick
4 golden potatoes, halved
2tbs paprika
2tbs salt
1tbs fresh ground pepper
1/2tbs cayenne pepper
1/2tbs garlic powder
1/3c packed light brown sugar
1/2c apple cider vinegar
1-12oz bottle Woodchuck (I used the "802" flavor but pick your favorite)


Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix the dry rub ingredients: paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic and sugar.
2. Rub the dry rub all over the pork roast (do this over the slow cooker so that the leftover ingredients fall to the bottom of the pot).
3. Place the roast in the slow cooker.  Add the onions, potatoes and carrots on the sides of the roast.
4. Pour the cider vinegar and cider over the roast and vegetables.
5. Cook on low for 9-10 hours or on high for 6-7 (Roast is done when it pulls easily with a fork.  If it seems tough keep cooking it!)
6. Pull out the potatoes and smash them with a fork at the bottom of a plate.  Top with pork, carrots, onions and some of the sauce.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment