Sunday, August 14, 2011

Italian Baked Chicken & Veggies

Once again, this is a throw it all in a pan and bake kind of meal.  It's hearty, healthy, and has a multitude of flavors that blend nicely while baking.  I serve this with rice, pasta, or eat it plain.

Baking the chicken with the vegetables lends a rich satisfying flavor

 Ingredients:
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1c cherry tomatoes (I used heirloom tomatoes from Trader Joes)
2c sliced bell peppers (use a variety of colors:  I used frozen bell pepper slices from Trader Joes)
2c artichoke hearts (again, I used a frozen package from Trader Joes)
1c of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Bertolli Tomato Basil Sauce)
1/4c balsamic vinegar
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I always use Muir Glen because I find the flavor better than other canned tomatoes)
2tsp minced garlic

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.  Spray a glass baking dish with olive oil.  Place chicken thighs at the bottom in a single layer.
2. In a large bowl, mix vegetables, sauce, vinegar, canned tomatoes and garlic.  Pour over the chicken evenly. 
3. Cover in foil and bake at the center of the oven until bubbling and chicken is cooked through (1hr to 1 1/2 hours - less time if using fresh veggies instead of frozen).  Serve with rice, pasta, or bread.  Top with cheese if desired.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment