Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gluten Free Strawberry Coffee Cake

I finally convinced my husband to try a gluten free diet.  I have been following a "mostly" gluten free diet for the past 2 years, but I do occasionally go off the diet and eat quite a bit of wheat (there really is nothing better than a juicy burger or some fresh-out-of-the-oven-pizza and beer!).  My best friend Marisa calls this "a gluten light diet."  I do not have Celiac Disease, but I have found that a gluten free diet gives me more energy, eliminates the stomach pain that I was plagued with my entire childhood, and allows me to sleep better at night.  Since my husband cannot live without desserts, I finally decided to try a gluten free concoction that turned out very much like a coffee cake.  We both had a huge slice served with double vanilla ice cream on the side and I pretty much couldn't be happier with the way this turned out.  If you are someone you love is gluten-free, this is a recipe you will want to keep.

Use raw sugar on top to bake a perfectly golden and crispy crust.



Serve with fresh sliced strawberries and double vanilla ice cream
 Ingredients:
16oz container fresh strawberries
1tbs fresh lemon juice
2tbs granulated sugar
2/3c cornmeal
1/3c Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix
2/3c white rice flour
2tsp xanthan gum
1tsp sea salt
1 1/2tsp baking powder
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2-3/4tsp cinnamon (can also add a dash of nutmeg if desired)
1/4c canola oil
1c buttermilk, warm (can substitute hemp/rice milk)
1/2tsp fresh lemon juice
3tbs agave nectar (can substitute honey)
2tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs at room temperature

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease a 9 inch round cake pan or skillet with butter.  Warm skillet, if using. 
2. Stem strawberries, slice in half, and toss with lemon juice and sugar.  Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whilk together cornmeal, baking mix, rice flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Set aside.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix together all wet ingredients (oil through eggs).
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and mix until just combined (don't overmix!). 
6. Drain strawberries and place most of them at the bottom of the pan.  Spoon better on top.  Wtih remaining strawberries, place on top cut side down and press into the batter.  Sprinkle the top generously with raw sugar.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and firm on top and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Wrap leftover slices in foil and freeze:  bring to room temperature before serving.

Dessert is served


No comments:

Post a Comment