Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Beef Tostadas with Guac

I make this meal when I am running short on time and want to make something filling and tasty.  I always receive many compliments when I make them for friends or family.  The secret lies in the amazing re-fried bean recipe (I swear they will change you life) and fresh guacamole.  I learned to make the re-fried beans from my mother who makes them in bulk quantities because you pretty much can't stop eating them.  The guacamole recipe is my own: a compilation of the best guacamole I have ever tasted.  The one I made tonight is mild, but feel free to add some minced fresh jalapeno if you like yours with a little spice.


Don't be afraid to get messy when you eat this beast

Tostadas
Corn tortillas
Olive oil spray
 Fresh ground sea salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400F.  Place 6 corn tortillas in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet and spray both sides with cooking oil.  Sprinkle the tops with sea salt.
2. Bake in the oven 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.  Set out to cool.


Mound this on your tostada and eat the leftovers with tortilla chips!
My Favorite Guacamole
1 avocado
3tbs minced red onion (must be RED!)
3tbs minced cilantro (or more to taste)
Juice from 1/2 lime (start with a 1/4 and then taste and add more if needed)
Garlic powder
Cumin
Fresh ground sea salt

1. Add diced avocado, red onion, cilantro and lime in a bowl.  Lightly sprinkle with garlic powder and add a pinch of cumin.  Sprinkle with sea salt lightly.
2. With a fork, mash guacamole until it is chunky but all mixed thoroughly.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.


Mom's World Famous Refried Beans
2 cans pinto beans (do not get organic or low sodium...both turn out terrible)
1 large yellow or sweet onion, diced
3tbs butter

1. Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium.  Add onion and saute, stirring frequently, until opaque and softened.
2. Add both cans of beans and stir.  Then, with a potato masher, mash the beans until there are only a few whole beans left.  Let beans simmer until the thickness you want is desired (about 5-8 minutes).  Stir and serve hot.

Taco Beef
1tbs canola oil
1lb lean ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, diced
Your favorite taco seasonings:  I used garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high.  Add onion and saute until softened.
2. Add beef and some seasonings (I never measure mine but just add some of each and then adjust after the beef has cooked.  I use a lot of garlic and chili powder and less of the others, if that helps).
3. Cook until beef is browned, breaking up beef into small pieces with your spoon.  Add a little water if the beef looks dry.


Can you tell I love guac?
To Assemble:
1. Top tostada with refried beans, beef, diced tomatoes, your favorite salsa and sour cream, and top with a huge scoop of guac.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment