Sunday, June 5, 2011

Grandma Dee's French Toast

I only have a few of my grandmother's recipes: namely french toast and meatloaf.  This french toast is filled with cinnamon and vanilla which makes it a little extraordinary and fills the house with a delicious smell that reminds me of my mom and my grandma.  Plus, it's one of my husband's favorites.  We make this on the weekend when we have time to savor it.
Make sure you use whole grain bread and top with a pat of butter at the end
 Ingredients (Serves 2):
4 slices whole grain bread (do not use white bread!)
2 eggs, slightly beaten and placed in a flat bowl (I use a pie pan)
3-4tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2tsp cinnamon (I just throw in a few large dashes, I never measure so add cinnamon to your liking)
pinch of salt
butter (a few tbs at least)
powdered sugar, for serving

Directions:
1. Mix in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and pinch of salt in the bottom of a pie pan.
2. Heat pan to medium and add a few tbs of butter to the pan until it begins to sizzle.
3. Dip in bread slices making sure they soak in the liquid on both sides.
4. Place bread slices in the pan and cook until golden brown on one side then flip.  Add more butter for the second batch if the pan becomes too dry.
5. Top with a pat of butter and powdered sugar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment