Our Memorial Day feast started with some spicy sweet salmon tacos. The rich chipotle mayo blended nicely with a drizzle of tangy sweet orange jalapeno sauce. I served this with some blue corn tortilla chips and coconut cilantro salsa... an interesting twist for a sweet dip.
|I ran out of corn tortillas but flour was a fine substitute|
Salmon fillet: about 8oz
1c shredded cabbage
1 chipotle chile in adobo + 2tsp sauce (remove seeds for less spice)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 quart orange juice, not from concentrate
2 tbs honey
Your favorite tortillas (For a gluten free meal, use corn or brown rice tortillas: no flour!)
1. Mix together mayonnaise, chipotle chile and sauce, and lime juice. Set aside.
2. Cut a few slits with a knife into jalapeno pepper. Place into a sauce pot and fill with orange juice. Boil until orange juice reduces to about 1 cup (20-40 minutes). Stir occasionally. Once reduced, turn off heat and whisk in honey and some salt to taste. Set aside until at room temperature.
3. Heat grill to medium high. Lightly coat salmon with oil, salt and pepper and grill 3 minutes per side or until done.
4. Cut salmon into chunks and place in a bowl with cabbage. Mix in chipotle mayo.
5. Heat tortillas. Fill with salmon cabbage mix. Drizzle with a few tsp of orange jalapeno sauce and serve.
Blue Corn Chips w/ Coconut Cilantro Salsa
|Interesting sauce for anyone who like to eat outside the box|
3 green onions, dark and light green parts only, chopped
juice of 3 limes
2 tbs olive oil
1/4c coconut, or more to taste
2 garlic cloves
1 Serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
honey and salt to taste
1. Combine all in a food processor. Season to taste with salt, honey and vinegar. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips (mine are Tostido Naturals - pricey but you can TELL the difference!)