Friday, May 27, 2011

Tandoori Chicken Thighs with Spicy Tomato Chutney and Cool Yogurt Sauce

I'm Gearing...I mean grilling...up for Memorial Day Weekend.  Enjoy!

Perfect accompanied by Grilled Asparagus & Baked Potato
Tandoori Spice 
(I make a big jar full and store it with my spices for a quick spice rub)
2 tbs onion powder
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs ground ginger
2 tbs ground coriander
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs ground cayenne
1 tbs ground turmeric
1 tbs ground white pepper
1 tbs salt

Boneless skinless chicken thighs (I grilled 8.  Delicious with chicken breast also.)
5 plum tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
Pinch saffron
1 serrano pepper or a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper.
3-4 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/2 packet sweetener (I used Truvia)
1c greek yogurt
Sour cream to taste (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Garlic powder and onion dip mix to taste
Cilantro (optional)


Directions:
1. Grill tomatoes on the grill until charred on all sides.  Dice.
2. Rub chicken with spice mix until thoroughly coated (I used a few tbs of the mix, not all of it!)
3. Grill chicken on medium-high (thighs about 5 minutes per side, large breasts about 10 minutes per side) until done.
4. Meanwhile, saute onion in some oil.  Add tomatoes and simmer with pinch saffron.  Add balsamic vinegar and sweetener to taste.  Add salt as well.  Sometimes I add a Serrano pepper if I have one.  Otherwise add a few shakes of cayenne depending on how spicy you like it.  Let set to room temperature.
5. Make yogurt sauce.  Mix in greek yogurt with lemon juice, garlic and onion mix to taste.  I usually add a few tbs of sour cream for richness as well, but this is optional. I also add cilantro to the sauce.
6. Serve chicken topped with spicy tomato chutney and chilled yogurt sauce to counteract the spiciness of the dish.  Sprinkle with Cilantro if desired.


NOTE: I always serve this dish with bread or a potato and some grilled vegetables.  Tonight I sprayed some fresh asparagus with olive oil and sprinkled it with sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment