|These little guys didn't last a minute!|
1 package mini sweet bell peppers (about 30)
1lb lean ground beef (I used ground sirloin)
1 onion, minced
1tbs extra virgin olive oil
1tbs minced garlic
2tsp ancho chile powder
1/2tsp garlic powder
1/4tsp red pepper flakes
Chopped cilantro and salsa, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent in color and wilted (5-8 minutes). Add minced garlic and cook, stirring frequently to prevent burning, a few minutes more.
2. Crumble in ground beef and cook, breaking the meat up with a spatula as it cooks. Add cumin, oregano, ancho, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. When the beef is browned and well-crumbled, taste and add any seasonings as needed (I never measure out my seasonings so the amount above is only a guide).
3. Rinse your mini peppers in water and cut off the tops. Take out the seeds and membranes. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with foil.
4. Using a teaspoon and your fingers, stuff each mini-pepper with ground beef mixture. Make sure it's packed in there. Only about a teaspoon or 2 would fit in each of mine. This is fine.
5. If desired, but optional, brush or spray the tops of the peppers with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the center of a preheated oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
6. Serve warm with cilantro and salsa, if desired. Enjoy!