Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crispy Chicken Thighs w Roasted Red Cabbage and Coconut Drizzle

Most of you can probably tell by my blog that I spend a lot of money on groceries.  And I mean a lot.  So I'm trying this new thing where I only allow myself to go to the grocery store once a week and I have to use up everything I have before I go.  My new year's resolution is to be more conscious about the money I spend on groceries.  Come Saturday night I am getting pretty low on food.  With some chicken thighs and a head of red cabbage, I was bound and determined to make it work.  I got inspired by a can of first pressed full fat coconut milk sitting in my kitchen cupboard and decided to make a rich and spicy coconut sauce with some simple chicken thighs and roasted cabbage.  The result was out-of-this-world-amazing!  The most common complaint I hear when people start to eat paleo is that it is too expensive (check out my Budget Friendly label on the right side of my blog for more cheap meal ideas).  Just because you don't have a lot of food money doesn't mean your meals can't be to-die-for-delicious.  This is the perfect example.

The beautiful colors just add to the wonderful experience of this dish

Ingredients (Serves 4):
8 bone-in-skin-on chicken thighs, hormone free
2tbs virgin coconut oil
1/2 of a large head of red cabbage, cut into thin slices
3tbs extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed is best)
2c chicken stock (make sure it's gluten free I like Rachael Ray or Costco Organic brand)
1/4 yellow onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1tbs red curry paste
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp coriander
1/2tsp curry powder
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp cayenne pepper (if you don't like spice, omit)
1c full fat coconut milk

Directions:
1. Trim the extra overlaying fat from your chicken thighs.  Salt and pepper them.  Line 2 baking sheets with foil.  Then preheat your oven to 425F and heat up 2tbs coconut oil in the largest skillet you have. over medium high heat.
2. Add your chicken thighs, skin side down to your pan and cook until skin is deep brown and crispy.  Then use tongs to flip over and cook a couple minutes more.  Transfer to a foil lined baking sheet to finish cooking in the oven.
3. While your chicken is browning, prepare your cabbage.  Set the cabbage slices in a single layer on another baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Use your (clean) hands to rub the oil evenly over the cabbage.  Sprinkle with salt and place them in the oven to roast about 5 minute before you put in your chicken.
4. Put your chicken in the oven above the cabbage on a separate rack and roast until about 180F and the juices run clean (this will depend on your thigh size but mine took about 15 minutes).  Your cabbage is done when it is tender-crisp and pieces are beginning to brown.
5. While your chicken and cabbage are cooking, prepare your coconut sauce.  In a large saucepan, heat the remaining tbs of coconut oil.  Saute your garlic and onion over medium heat until the onion is translucent.  Then add your chicken stock, curry paste and spices.  Whisk until fully combined.  Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minute or until the stock is reduced by about half.  Then whisk in your coconut milk and softly simmer until ready to serve.
6. To serve, place some roasted cabbage at the bottom of your plate.  Top with 2 chicken thighs and ladle a generous amount of coconut sauce over the whole thing.  Enjoy!

-

No comments:

Post a Comment