Monday, November 14, 2011

Cheesecake Chatter, Part 1: Raw Icebox Cheesecake

I have always had trouble making cheesecake.  They never turn out quite right so I knew I had my hands full when I decided to experiment with a primal cheesecakes (ie grain and refined sugar free).  This is my first attempt at a cheesecake and it is truly paleo because there isn't any dairy in it at all.  Anthony wasn't fond of this cheesecake because he was expecting something like a traditional cake and he says he doesn't like dates or raspberries (who knew!).  I happened to enjoy it and it felt like eating raspberry sorbet over a hearty granola.  In any case, I thought I would share.

Simply nuts and fruit!
Crust Ingredients:
1/2c raw almonds
1/2c whole pitted dates
pinch sea salt
1tbs date soaking water (if you have any, otherwise use honey)

Filling:
1c raw almonds, soaked in water overnight
1tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
1/3c coconut oil
1/3c honey
3/4c frozen mixed berries, thawed or warmed in the microwave

Directions:
1. Place crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and stick together in a ball.  Press into a 6 or 7" springform pan or individual ramekins lined with saran wrap.  This is your crust.
2. Warm coconut oil and honey in a microwavable bowl.  In a very powerful food processor or blender, blend soaked almonds, vanilla, and the melted oil/honey mixture until smooth.  Add berries and continue to blend until completely smooth.  Pour over your crust and place in the freezer until solid (takes a few hours).  Remove from the freezer prior to eating (maybe 30 minutes for the whole cake or 10 minutes for individual cakes).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment