|The rich red wine infused sauce makes this dish unbelievable!|
3lb beef chuck roast
Fresh ground salt and pepper
1tbs minced garlic
6 carrots, sliced into 1" pieces
6 celery stalks, sliced into 1" pieces
2 sweet onions, cut into quarters and sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
8oz sliced baby bella mushrooms 2c red wine (I used Red Velvet wine but use your favorite)
1c beef stock
1 bay leaf
1/2tsp Italian seasoning
1/2tsp garlic powder
1. In a large stock pot, heat butter over medium high heat. Add roast and brown on both sides (this gives the roast a richer flavor). It will probably take about 5 minutes per side. Set aside.
2. In the same pot, add your minced garlic, carrots, celery, and onions. Stir and cook until onions are brown and softening (5 minutes).
3. Place the cooked veggies in the bottom of a large crock pot. Stir in the tomatoes and mushrooms. Place the roast and any accumulated juices on top.
4. Meanwhile, go back to your stock pot and add 2c red wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan while boiling the red wine to break up any brown bits. Reduce by half.
5. Stir in the beef broth, Italian seasoning, allspice, and garlic powder into your stock pot with the wine and give it a good stir. Pour all of the broth over the roast and into the crock pot.
6. You can cook this on high or low. I cooked it 2 hours on high and then 5 hours on low. If you cook it on low it will take longer (probably 8-10 hours). If you cook it on high it will cook faster (probably 5 hours).
7. You know your roast is done when it pulls apart easily with a fork. Remove the roast and veggies to a serving platter (leave the liquid behind). Cover to keep warm.
8. Pour the liquid into a large sauce pan and boil rapidly until it reduces by half (this will give you an unbelievably rich broth).
9. To serve, place some meat and veggies on a plate and ladle some broth over the whole thing. Enjoy!