Saturday, October 8, 2011

Grain-Free Pancakes

I used to love weekends when my mom and dad would make our family a huge breakfast, which often included pancakes.  Of course, now I hardly ever eat them.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that that is going to change.  Oh how I wish I could take credit for this recipe!  I actually recreated a recipe from Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet.  It is a "pancake" recipe that doesn't have a single hint of grains:  amazing!  It's packed full of fruit, nuts and protein:  the perfect breakfast.  Even better, it's absolutely delicious!  I know this will soon be a staple weekend breakfast in our household and I hope you enjoy them as well!


Pancakes: Breakfast of Champions!

Ingredients:
1/2c unsweetened applesauce
1/2c raw almond butter (or other nut butter such as cashew)
1tsp vanilla extract
1/4tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1c frozen blueberries, warmed
Pinch sea salt
2tsp extra virgin coconut oil

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir together almond butter and applesauce.  Add vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. 
2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium or medium-high heat with the coconut oil.
3. Right before cooking, stir in the eggs.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mounds (however many will fit) onto your skillet and cook until golden brown on one side (careful not to burn them!).  Flip and cook a few minutes on the other side.
5. Serve with warm blueberries on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment