|Fresh, moist, and packed with flavor: you don't want to miss out on this recipe!|
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2c canola oil
3/4c sweet potato puree (see directions below)
3/4c brown sugar, packed
2tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp ground ginger
Pinch of allspice
1c stone ground corn flour (gluten free: I used Bob's Red Mill Corn Flour)
1c Pamela's Ultimate Baking Mix (this stuff is amazing: a must buy for gluten free dieters!)
1/2tsp baking powder
a pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease the bottom of a 7 or 8 inch round cake pan with butter or oil (I used an 8" springform pan)
3. To make sweet potato puree: Cook a very large sweet potato in the microwave on high for 8-10 minutes (make sure you pierce the flesh with a fork). I put mine on a plate and cover it in plastic wrap. Let set 5 minutes. Once very soft and cooled slightly, peel the skin, cut into cubes and place in a food processor until smooth. Let set out until room temperature (can be made in advance: keep in the refrigerator)
4. In a large bowl, mix the eggs by hand until frothy. Add the oil and whisk then add the sweet potato puree and whisk well. Add the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Whisk to combine.
5. In a separate bowl, mix flours, baking powder and salt.
6. Using a rubber spatula, add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir by hand just until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
7. Bake on the center rack for 30-45 minutes, until the cornbread is firm to the touch, golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (Baking times will vary with your altitude and oven temp so watch closely). Serve with butter and honey.