|Rich velvety chocolate coffee cupcake with a rich butter icing|
Chocolate Coffee Cupcake Ingredients:
3/4c rounded sorghum flour
3/4c rounded tapioca starch
1/2c unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa)
1c packed light brown sugar
1/2tsp fine sea salt
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1tsp xanthan gum
1c room temperature brewed coffee (save some leftover coffee from your morning batch!)
1/4tsp good instant coffee (I used starbucks)
2 eggs, room temperature
3tbs canola oil
1tbs + 1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
1/2c semisweet chocolate, melted then cooled slightly (I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips)
1. Whisk together dry ingredients (sorghum flour through xanthan gum).
2. Add in wet ingredients and instant coffee. Beat on low until smooth. Then continue to beat 8 minutes (if the batter climbs your mixer, slow down the speed, scrape down and mix with your beater at an angle and moving in a figure 8 motion around the bowl). Pour batter into lined cupcake tins 3/4 of the way full.
3. Bake in a 350F oven about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean (mine were done at 19 minutes). Watch them closely: do not overbake!
4. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack (don't let them sit in the pan!)
5. Frost when completely cooled.
Ingredients for brown butter icing:
2 sticks butter
4c powdered sugar
2tbs vanilla extract
2tbs cold milk
2-3tbs heavy cream
pinch sea salt
1. Melt butter on low in a saucepan. Continue to cook about 10 minutes or until begins to turn a delicate brown. Cool in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until room temp.
2. Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla on low until incorporated. Add a tbs of milk. Beat for a few minutes until fluffy. Continue to add milk or cream until it is the consistency that you want. Sprinkle with cinnamon for serving or add a little into the batter and mix.