|Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcake with Triple Coconut Buttercream Frosting|
Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
1 1/2c white rice flour
3/4c tapioca flour
1tsp baking soda
3tsp baking powder
1tsp xanthan gum
4 eggs, room temperature
1 1/4c sugar
2/3c mayonnaise, room temperature (make sure it's not flavored!)
1c buttermilk, room temperature or slightly warmed
4tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 16 cupcake tins with liners.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Mix eggs sugar and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the milk, vanilla and flour mixture and beat for 10 minutes (to work in the xanthan gum).
4. Drop batter into cupcake liners and bake until the cupcakes spring back slightly to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (in my oven: 17 minutes).
5. Cool completely before frosting.
Triple Coconut Buttercream Icing
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 pinches fine sea salt
2 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 of 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1-2tsp vanilla extract
1/4c coconut milk (I used reduced coconut milk by boiling a can of coconut milk until reduced by half and letting it come to room temp. Do not add warm or it will melt the butter and your frosting will be liquid).
2 handfuls shredded sweetened coconut (more to taste)
Toasted coconut, for topping
1. Beat butter until smooth. Add salt, sugar, vanilla seeds and extract and coconut milk. Beat on low until combined and then on medium high until light and fluffy. Add shredded coconut to taste.
2. After frosting the cupcakes, top with toasted coconut (bake in the oven at 350 and stir every few minutes until golden brown, about 7 minutes).
|Four of these were gone instantly|