Monday, August 22, 2011

Attempt #1: Gluten Free Bread

This post is less of a recipe and more of a recountal of my first experience baking gluten free bread.  First, let me give you some background:  In the past, when I would go to the store to buy the dreaded gluten free bread, I always ended up with a ten dollar loaf of cardboard.  Sometimes it was tolerable but it was never delicious.  Hence why I finally decided to start baking my own bread.  Now, please note, that I am not a talented bread maker by any stretch of the imagination.  My past bread making experience left me with a 5lb rock of hardened dough that would be better served as a doorstop than accompanying any meal.  I have always had trouble making my bread rise (I know I know, it has to do with warming the bread, temperature of the even, blah blah blah).  Anyway, with a little determination and a handy pre-measured bagged mix, I ventured out to make my own loaf.

The result was not a complete disaster.  The bread was warm and moist and delicious with butter.  I must admit, the texture was heavier and less fluffy than our gluten filled counterparts, but all in all it was a success.  Definitely better than those loaves you buy at the store, but still not as delicious as I would have liked.  I sliced up the loaf and froze individual slices (gluten free bread dries out very fast).  I don't think this will be my last attempt at making gluten free bread products.  Perhaps all I need now is a breadmaker...


First loaf fresh from the oven:  I couldn't wait to slice it!

Sliced and ready to be eaten

Ingredients:
1 bag Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix
2 eggs
2tbs canola oil + 2tbs extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
I followed the directions on the package with a few adjustments:  I don't own a stand mixter so I used my trusty hand mixer.  The dough tended to climb the beaters and was difficult to beat but I did the best I could for 3 minutes as instructed.  I let the dough set for an hour and then I brushed it with a little olive oil on top to make the top of the loaf brown and crusty.  The package said to bake the loaf for 70 minutes, but mine was done at 50 minutes (you can tell by tapping the loaf and if it's hollow it's done).  For my first bread making attempt, I can thank Pamela for making it an easy one!  I will certainly buy this bread mix again and maybe even venture into making pizza dough or cinnamon raisin bread next time.  Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment