|Ultimate Comfort Food|
3lb roast (buy what's on sale - this one was a rump roast)
1 small package baby carrots
1 small package fingerling potatoes, washed
2 sweet onions, peeled, halved and quartered
2c water + 2 beef bullion cubes (or use 2c gluten free beef broth)
garlic, thyme and 2 bay leaves (no need to measure, just add some in)
1 package beefy onion soup mix (omit if gluten free)
a few tbs flour and 2tbs butter if making gravy (or thicken with cornstarch if gluten free)
1. Add vegetables to a large crock-pot. Top with roast. Add broth and spices, salt and pepper (mix broth with onion soup mix first if using)
2. Cook on low 11 or 12 hours, or until tender and cooked.
3. To make gravy: Remove vegetables and meat. Heat a few tbs flour and butter in a large pan. Cook until browned slightly. Add beef broth juices to the pan and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To make gluten free gravy: Mix a few tablespoons cornstarch and cold water. Add to broth in the crock-pot and cook on high until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve meat and veggies with gravy on top.